My husband was shocked that I made plain ol’ chocolate chip cookies. He said, “wait, what did you say you baked?” These aren’t plain ol’ chocolate chips though. They are soft and chewy. They aren’t too thin and they aren’t too floury. These are definitely going down easy.
I always go above and beyond with everything anymore, but sometimes simple is the best. I made three-quarters of the dough without walnuts, and made the quarter I had left with nuts. Wesley and Lucian aren’t huge nut fans. Men can be so finicky sometimes. Scratch that. All the time.
I have developed quite the love for nuts since becoming an adult. When I was young I wouldn’t eat them in my baked goods or ice cream. Then again, when I was young I used to call chocolate chip cookies chocolate cooked chippies. I got it straight after I turned 15.
Just kidding. I was probably 5, I think. I’m such a jokester.
The cookie’s center is so soft and gooey. I absolutely love the center of a cookie. any cookie. I used both milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips in this cookie. You could easily use either or, but I like a combination. They melt together and form a creamy sweet but not overbearing flavor.
Well, let’s get to this little gem of a recipe, shall we?
- ½ cup shortening, butter flavored
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 + ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 + ½ cups walnuts, coarsely chopped(optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add shortening and butter. Mix on medium until completely combined.
- Add in the sugars and continue mixing on medium until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until the eggs are completely incorporated.
- Add in the baking soda and all the flour. Turn the stand mixer on low and mix until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips and walnuts and stir with a spatula.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. I only fit 6 dough balls on my baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet a few minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.
Enjoy the soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies!