Today is the Fourth of July. Our independence day. The day for tons of cookouts. Loud, beautiful fireworks. A day from work for the husband. The perfect day for a giveaway. So, thanks to Lindsay from Pinch of Yum I’ll be giving away one Tasty Food Photography e-book. I’m also be sharing an awesome dessert for the cookouts we’ll all be attending this weekend.
This dessert is so light and fluffy. It’s packed full of flavor and fresh fruit. The pie plate is lined with a sweet and salty crushed pretzel crust. Have I ever told you about my love for a sweet and salty? I know, I know.. only about 200 times. But seriously, yum. Those little red white and blue pretzels beside the pie are also yum. The ultimate sweet and salty honey wheat pretzel stick. Super cute too, right.
I have to admit, this pie isn’t a piece of cake to cut. Yeah, pun intended. The pie did crumble a little, but it’s still a beautiful color and tastes delish. As you can see, this pie is loaded with strawberries and maraschino cherries. Maraschino cherries are my absolute favorite. I could sit down and eat an entire jar of maraschino cherries and then drink the juice. It’s sickening, isn’t it?
I’m still learning my spanking new dslr camera, and this book is packed full of information just for that. As a newer food blogger, I learned rather quickly that beautiful pictures are everything. If you’re a food blogger that’s looking to fine tune your skills or a new blogger looking for tips, this book is for you! Trust me, the prettier your pictures are, the bigger audience you will get.
- 1 + 1/4 cups pretzels, crushed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 box (3 oz.) strawberry jello
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 + 3/4 cups strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 box (3 oz.) berry blast jello
- 3/4 cup boiling water
Red, White, & Blue Pretzels
- 10 pretzel rods
- 1/2 cup white coating chocolate
- 1 tsp. shortening
- red and blue sanding sugar
- In a large bowl, add crushed pretzels, butter, and sugar. Mix thoroughly and dump into a 9 inch pie plate. Press firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, add the strawberry jello powder and boiling water. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Add in the maraschino cherry juice and stir. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes until the mixture has thickened, but not set.
- Remove from fridge and whip until the jello is light and fluffy with a hand mixer for about 3-4 minutes. I don't have a hand mixer, so I beat it by hand and had little bits of jello throughout my mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add in heavy whipping cream. Mix on medium until the whipped cream has formed soft peaks.
- Once the whipped cream has formed soft peaks, add in the powdered sugar and continue to whip until the whipped cream has formed stiff peaks. The whipped cream will stand up on the beater.
- Fold the whipped cream into the whipped jello.
- Once the whipped cream is incorporated into the whipped jello, add the fruit and fold.
- Pour the strawberry cream on top of the pretzel crust and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- In a medium bowl, add in the jello powder and boiling water. Stir until the powder is dissolved.
- Pour jello into an 8 inch square pan and refrigerate for about an hour until set.
- Turn the set jello out onto a clean counter top and using a star cookie cutter cut out jello shapes.
- Place on top of the strawberry cream pie.
Red, white, & blue pretzels.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add in the white coating chocolates and shortening.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir after each interval. Mine only took about 1 minute to become smooth and completely melted.
- Dip the pretzel into the chocolate or use a spoon. I used a spoon.
- Tap off the excess chocolate.
- Using a spoon, add red sugar on one side of the chocolate. The spoon helps control where the sugar goes.
- On the other side of the chocolate, add the blue sugar with a spoon.
- Place on parchment paper and let dry for about 30 minutes.
Get help with lighting, composition, and camera settings now! Also, Now until July 8th there’s a coupon code(newversion30) for 30% off the book! So, if you’re unlucky like me, go ahead and buy it for a discounted price. Just type in the code “newversion30″ and voila!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Have a happy holiday and enjoy the strawberry cream pie and giveaway! Best of luck to all my followers!